Monday, January 26, 2009

That Anaheim "Religious Education" Congress, again...


It's THAT time of year again! Begining February 26, to be exact.... Now if there is anything that I am "thankful" for, as far as this conference is concerned, I'm thankful that it is no longer called the Catholic Religious Education Conference... They have long since dropped the "Catholic", thank you, Jesus, for small favors...

And returning again for this years line up is Richard Rohr... yippee... Apparently he still considers himself a Catholic priest, though I don't see why ...? I suppose even after Roger Cardinal Mahoney is no longer around, the conference will continue... it seems to have gathered a life of it's own... like a festering wound... The descriptions in the article are nothing short of spot on and have been this way for years.... I haven't personally attended a conference myself in 13 years and the leotard wearing, gyrating dancers were there, then. Not to mention the talks by Catholics and non-Catholics alike, discussing everything from A to Zen... The last year that my husband and I went, I remember struggling through the conference handbook trying to decipher some actual "Catholic" speakers that wouldn't be completely heretical...

The really frustrating part for me is HOW MUCH this conference is STILL encouraged by our own local clergy, as three of the larger parishes in town still send their catechists to Anaheim in droves to "refuel" with "spirituality".... It's kind of funny, really, when one will come up to me literally "gushing" about their "wonderful" experiences at the weekend and my husband and kids run and duck for cover! lol!! They KNOW what's comin'! : )

2 comments:

Andi said...

Oh Auntie Lee- you're not a fan of liturgical dancing in unitards??? I guess you wouldn't like the "Mass: The Musical" Easter Vigil we went to last year...yeah we won't be going back to that church...

Linda said...

I can't beleive Rohr is still going on! I remember him as a teen, thinking soon he'd drop off the circuit. How sad that he still calls himself Catholic.