Tuesday, May 5, 2009

It's Time... The Lines are Being Drawn...

You know, I haven't had a whole lot of time to blog these last few weeks, but I have been following and listening closely to the Obama/Notre Dame controversy, and even engaging in dialogues with ND alumni. One of the arguments, and I can totally understand, is that Obama's visit to the campus should not take away the honor due to the graduates and their "moment to shine" on their graduation day. I can totally understand that these graduates worked hard for their degrees and deserve to be recognized for this esteemed accomplishment.... But really, are we not at war, here?... Lines are being drawn in the sand ALL AROUND us and "Sparky himself" is asking "WHAT are YOU going to DO about it?!" What side are we on?...

No disrespect for the graduates, but like a wedding day, graduation is ONE day... What will you do with the REST of your life?... Despite what career path we will take, God asks us continuously, WHERE does HE fit in?... What are we going to do in order to remain close to Him?! Sure, we can say "what's the big deal?... let's 'dialogue'" or, "IF Obama was really aware of the controversy he was causing, I'd like to think he'd bow out..." yeah... I've actually heard that one... Are you kidding me?! The man KNOWS EXACTLY what he's doing! He is VERY AWARE of the controversy he is causing... Fr. Jenkins is VERY AWARE of the controversy this is causing, though I'm not sure that he knew that it would cause AS MUCH as has been demonstrated...

And then there are those who fan the flames with typical secular media rhetoric... claiming that "Violent pro-life advocates" are the problem, storming the campus by the thousands, compromising the Presidents safety.... One alumni that I've spoken with made reference to the thousands demonstrators that will be BLOCKING the families from going to their son or daughters graduation... This isn't about keeping families from their kids graduation! It is about the SCANDAL that Fr. Jenkins and President Obama are bringing to Notre Dame and her graduates!! Graduation is still two weeks away! How can they even write about something that hasn't even happened? This is about the opportunity, especially for the graduates, to stand and say, "I am Catholic and I STAND on the side of LIFE at all stages and there is no other option. I am NOT going to stand for this disregard to my core beliefs in Faith that SHOULD BE protected and defended on this Catholic University Campus...." THAT would be their real moment to shine....

Pro-life means valuing ALL life... from conception until natural death... yes... even the President's.... I pray for him to have a change of heart.... I pray for his soul... But, for right now, he has done nothing during his time in office to show me that he is in defence of preserving all human life. He has actually done quite the opposite with his rescinding of the Mexico City Policy, funding abortions over seas with my tax dollars , funding of embryonic stem cell research, his intentions with FOCA, and his reference to unplanned babies as a "mistake" that can be rubbed out, and the multiple (Catholic) anti-life appointments to his cabinet, to name just a few.... He, and this administration have drawn the lines, and we can't remain silent. I really appreciate what Ann Scheidler had to say at the end of this video...

No comments: