Friday, February 26, 2010

Perfection and The Unforgivable Sin...


I just love it when something that has puzzled me for some time is suddenly explained in a way that makes perfect sense!

Fr. Jude is a Dominican priest that comes to visit a local parish every year, sometimes a couple of times of year to give classes and help out. He has also been presiding over the early morning Masses since Ash Wednesday. I met Fr. Jude about 8 years ago, when I was still teaching RCIA at this particular parish and he so graciously spoke to my classes. Anyway, I've always liked his straight forward approach and his zeal for the Truth.

Yesterday morning Fr. explained that we should always forgive... He gave the example of the the rich man that asked Jesus how he may obtain eternal life (Matthew 19:15-16). Jesus tells the young man, if he wants to be "perfect" than he has to sell everything he has, give it to the poor and then follow Him... The young man walked away very sad "For he had many possessions..." Fr. Jude told us that in order to be "perfect" as God is perfect, we have to give in abundance to others as God gives to us... EVEN to those we may not feel deserve it... "But he doesn't work as hard as i do... He didn't earn it..." , or, "She doesn't even try to be nice....", etc... How often we, ourselves receive the grace and forgiveness of God when we may not deserve... It can be very difficult to give to those that our human brain tells us is not "deserving"... We have worked hard to get where we are and what we have, why shouldn't they?... We hold on to many "possessions" that really aren't going to matter when we stand before God...

Now THIS morning, Fr. Jude brought to light something that has always puzzled me and I've struggled to understand... The Bible tells us that there is nothing that God won't forgive... NO matter what we do, there is virtually NOTHING that we can't be forgiven by God.... but yet, the Bible also speaks of the "unforgivable sin"... blaspheming the Holy Spirit... it was a seeming contradiction to me... but the way the Father explained it this morning made perfect sense... When we come across people, or maybe when we ourselves say or even think "Oh, God can never forgive what I have done..." we are in essence saying that our sin is greater than God. And what is greater than God?... By saying that something is greater, I am making myself god... I am blaspheming the Holy Spirit....

So, we approach God with a repentant heart, acknowledging that He is greater than any sin I could ever commit, and receiving his abundant grace and forgiveness.... It brings to mind the differences between Peter and Jude. Jude felt he couldn't be forgiven for his transgression and gave in to despair, taking his own life... Peter felt repentance and sorrow for his rejecting Jesus and received His forgiveness and gathered back to the flock... ultimately becoming the shepherd of that flock...

I pray this day that you have the opportunity to approach Jesus with a repentant heart, and receive the Grace and Forgiveness of God. I, myself am headed back to the "box" tomorrow morning : )

No comments: