Thursday, April 17, 2008

Something About Papa Benedict...


It is really amazing to see and hear the number of people so excited to see, even just a glimpse of Pope Benedict XVI during his short visit here in the US. Catholic and not, what is it about this man that so many expect to see?...

Fox news reported after Pope Benedict landed at Andrews AFB that people came to "see" Pope John Paul II, but people come to "hear" Pope Benedict XVI. Wow.... That's something.... I think that many people, Catholic and not are all looking for a leader. They are looking for someone that KNOWS what they believe and why and is not afraid to lead by word and example with unfaltering faith. They are looking for a leader in a country that has too many "claiming" leadership qualities but missing the mark completely... They want we he's got...

My brother lives and works near Washington DC and was blessed having won two tickets from his parish's lottery to go to the Papal Mass at the stadium this morning. He was so excited and grateful to have been given the opportunity to be in such close proximity with the leader of our Catholic Church. To be so close to the successor of St. Peter! An experience I'm sure he will carry with him for the rest of his life. I still remember, like yesterday, 22 years ago, when I was lucky enough to be sitting only 10 rows back from the stage at Universal Studios CA, where Pope John Paul II stood and spoke with me and hundreds of other young people that came to see and hear this "people's Pope". I watched the smile on his face grow as we all watched the then unknown Tony Melendez sing and play guitar for Papa, with his feet....

there is just something to be said for continuity... This isn't a faith to pick and choose apart, but a faith established by Jesus, himself, to be held together for all eternity, built on ROCK. "And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it. I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven." - Matthew 16:18-19

How loving and gracious is our God, taking out all the guesswork and leaving us a most Holy Church built on Rock, to turn to when we are lost or confused. I, for one, will be forever grateful....

No comments: