Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Left To Tell


I have very recently finished the book Left to Tell by Immaculee Ilibagiza. As painful as her story was to write, and for me to read, the strength and grace of her strong faith shines through above all else. Such an inspiration.... There isn't much worse, that I can think of anyone ever having to go through, than surviving the attempted annihilation of an entire nation of people based completely on their race by people that you grew up and played and ate and were neighbors with. Yet, she relied solely on her faith in Christ to see her through. Learning to trust entirely on Him and whatever He had in store for her.

Given my own current situation, there is much for me to take away from Immaculee's inspiring story. We don't always know what God has in store for us or more appropriately, why. But I have learned over and over again, in hindsight, that He always seems to have a plan that is for my greater good. His plan always gives me the opportunity to draw closer to Him. And therein lies the challenge. Do I choose to Trust in His plan and stay focused on Him? Or do I give in to despair? Immaculee could have easily given in to despair. She speaks about giving in to her anger at times and wanting to seek revenge against those who hunted down her family and were now seeking her. Yet, when she was able to refocus on Christ, let go of her anger and ask God to help her forgive, the heaviness was lifted from her heart and she was able to see Him in the details, always by her side...

Do yourself a favor and get a copy of Left to Tell. I found mine at the local library. It is well worth the read...

1 comment:

AJ Gerritson said...

Hi Lee,

I just came across you blog and I thought you might be interested to know Immaculee going on a pilgrimage to the holy marian apparition sites. There might be some spots left to go with her. See info:http://www.catholic.org/prwire/headline.php?ID=4811