Saturday, February 9, 2008

Happy Birthday, Dad


Charles W. Jr, "Chuck" to most everybody, "Dad" or "Pop", to me. God rest his soul, he left this world just a couple of months more than 4 years ago.... Deep down, I don't think he was really looking forward to being 80... But in the end, only God knows the reasons why he left us here, what seems like all too soon....

There are so many things about my dad that I love to remember and think about. His adventurous spirit, his creative ingenuity : ) , his HUGE heart, his sense of humor... I can't help but laugh when I realize I did something that was so "dad"...

I Remember BBQ's in the backyard, complete with home made icecream... the burlap sack and the ax to pound down that block of ice. lol... a very "child friendly" environment : )

I Remember fishing. I'll never forget my first "catch"... Dad found a fish (probably about 6 inches long, not much more) very near the shore next to a rock, floating... he was SURE that that little guy MUST have seen my bait and when he went for it, missed it, hitting the rock and knocking himself out. I bought it... : ) I can still see that picture of me holding it up for the camera...

I Remember Backpacking. My sister and I mused about writing a book, "Camping with Chuck"... lol... It was like no other experience... He has left us memories and experiences that will last the rest of our lives... the beauty of the world around us, he made sure we all got a chance to see... Perhaps, one day, I will write that book...

Dad did as much as he could in his life, with what he had, and he made sure that his kids got to, too. The only one he loved and defended more than his kids was Mom. His family was everything to him and I believe we all knew that, before he left. That's all he really wanted, I think....Somedays it's really hard because I miss him, still. Not for my own self, so much, but more for my kids... I miss that they won't have the chance to get to know him in this world...

But in my heart I know that he is still watching over us, and is still present here, when I see something or someone that REALLY reminds me of him, especially in myself...

Eternal rest, grant unto him, O Lord, and may perpetual light shine upon him. May his soul and all the souls of the faithful departed, by the Mercy of God, rest in peace.


Tomorrow is your birthday, and Mom has Mass being said for you in the morning. Don and I and the kids will be there to remember. I will pray for your eternal rest and for the Peace and Grace of Mom's own spirit. She misses you more than anyone, no doubt, and no doubt you'll be smiling down on and praying for us all. I'm forever grateful for all that you taught me...

Thanks for everything, Dad. Happy Birthday.

No comments: