Monday, February 25, 2008

The Angelus

I was reminded today about the importance of reciting the Angelus. I came across a beautiful video on YouTube by the Sisters of St. Paul that explained how the bells ring 3 times a day (6am, noon and 6pm) as a Christian call to prayer. Wow... for some reason, it just struck me... I live in a city that has 10 Roman Catholic Churches within a 30 mile radius. Could you imagine if they ALL "rang the bells" 3 times a day?.... Three times a day to be reminded and to acknowledge and give thanks and praise to the Incarnation. Three times a day that we contemplate and acknowledge that God became man through the fiat of a woman.... and for what? For fame? Fortune? No. He came to this world for one reason. He came to die, so that we may live... wow... Lord, I am not worthy, but only say the word and I shall be healed... I love reciting the Angelus. I always have... It's such a simple, yet beautiful prayer. I used to say it all the time, but like many things, I've gotten off track and have gotten out of the habit... I think I've just been reminded of one more thing I need to add to my list of "to do's" for this lenten season...

2 comments:

WI Catholic said...

My mother (in her eighties) tells of a time when HER mother and she were shopping downtown, and walking on the sidewalk when the noon Angelus bells began to ring. My Grandmother stopped, knelt right there in public, and said the Angelus.

I never met Grandma, as she passed away long before I was born, but she must have been a very strong woman.

The bells don't ring here, either, and I honestly cannot remember when they did. Sad. They did ring in two other cities I have lived in. It is a nice reminder to stop and pray.

God bless!

Lee said...

Oh! That would be totally awesome to see that again... can you just imagine?...