Thursday, February 26, 2009

Baby's First Doctor Visit...


So, yesterday I finally got the baby to a doctor's appointment. You see, I took him in the week after he was born to have him circumcised and then made an appointment for his one month check up. Well, when I went in for the one month, there was a screw up with the insurance, and he had not yet been put on it, so I had to go home, straighten out the insurance mess, but never got around to scheduling him back with the Doctor. Now he is 4 months old and so I figured I better get him down. He really is such a "mellow-jello" baby. Very happy go lucky and easy to take care of. Not fussy-cussy at all, so I just didn't think about taking him to the doctor. Anyway, when we get there, they ask if there are any problems [no] and then tell me that they will just do a "well baby" check up. Sounds good! : )

So could someone PLEASE tell me WHY, when you take a perfectly healthy, happy baby in to see the doctor, they tell you that he's "behind" 10 shots that they say he "needs" and call it a "well baby check up"?... TEN SHOTS!! No exaggeration!! I about fell over! I said, "He's ONLY 4 months old!! What in the world is the necessity of giving him TEN shots?!!" For PETE's SAKE!! The doctor told me about some kind of "roto-virus..." something or other oral immunization. He said that it was the "easiest" to give, because they just put it in his mouth... Well, sorry, Doc, but JUST BECAUSE it's "easy" doesn't mean it's necessary... It wasn't to eliminate the chance of stomach flu, but to keep it from getting to the point of dehydration and hospitalization... Well, since my baby is ONLY breast fed right now, we home school and so is not exposed to the usual "muck" and he is baby #5 and I have NEVER had stomach flu in my house to the extent of hospitalization even being warranted with ANY of my kids, I think I'll pass... sheesh...

It is SO frustrating, because you want to trust your doctor to do what's best for your children to keep them healthy, but gosh! IT seems that every year they ADD to the list of "immunizations" to give children, and I'm sorry, but all that extra "Stuff" put in to an already healthy baby just doesn't seem right... *Sigh* I allowed four of the 10.. for now... and even THAT leaves me feeling a bit of guilt... I honestly don't know too much about these things... Poor baby... He is SO ticklish, there he was laughing and cooing and giggling, as the nurse was rubbing alcohol on his little chubby, thunder-thighs when his face suddenly froze in fear and pain as he felt the "stick"... it's enough to break a mommy's heart.... We're supposed to go back in a month....

2 comments:

Molly said...

I worked at a pediatricians office once. I only lasted 2 weeks. I couldn't handle 8 hours of making babies cry, each child got 4-5 shots at a time. After only 2 weeks I called my old job and begged them to hire me back.

Lee said...

yeah, the doctor makes the "order" then sends the nurse in to do the "dirty work"... and I just don't understand, because my oldest is not quite 13, but I KNOW HE didn't have THAT MANY shots as a baby... it's just not right... how did WE survive our infant years?...