Monday, March 2, 2009

Doctor Visits for Your Older Children

I know most of my children are still very small, but my oldest son is soon to be 13 and I have given thought as to what happens at a doctors visit as they grow older.... For my sons, but probably more so for my daughters... ESPECIALLY with the OVERKILL of secular society's push of everything from condoms, to IUD's, to the after math fallout push of meds for herpes of every type to "methods" of "dealing with" unwanted pregnancies... It seems as though it's just so "unusual" to teach kids self esteem and self respect. Abstinence and chastity are STILL options... Even well intentioned Christian and Catholic doctors are clueless as evidenced by this article from Patrick Madrids Blog.... As parents WE are the ones first and foremost to protect and instruct our children and unfortunately we must be vigilant and aware at every turn... and for the record, I don't think I would EVER leave the exam room of my minor child at the request of the doctor... that request would send chills down my spine, and I really like our long time pediatrician....

4 comments:

Andi said...

I was wondering...what are the parent's right regarding the doctor having a "private talk" with a minor? My mom never left the room when I was growing up. I went to the dr. for having bad cramps and when she asked me the standard "are you sexually active?" my mom replied "no" for me! Of course she asked me that and several other horribly awkward questions about my non-existent sex life before she believed me. It was even worse at my first OB appointment right before I got married. The doctor was downright RUDE about the fact that I was a virgin and even RUDER when I said no to birth control because I believe in NFP. She gave me a "See you in 10 months I love delivering babies." Needless to say, I did NOT return...although she was right about the 10 months thing. :)

Lee said...

I'm thinkin, #1 - A LOT has changed since I was a young teenager, because I don't remember hearing or being grilled about sexual activity when I would go to the doctor... and that was less than 30 years ago... now, college was a whole other ball game...

And as far as parents rights, and I could be wrong, but I'm thinking that as long as they are a minor under my care, I have EVERY RIGHT to be in the room with them.And I'm also thinking, unforunately, that I would have to explain to the doctor what is within they're range to discuss with my son or daughter... Such sad/confusing times we live in...

Unknown said...

many Christian denominations and Christian pastors will counsel couples to use birth control to regulate the size of their families. Pastors with young families will not hesitate to use birth control or have vasectomies (or tubes tied) to prevent pregnancy. Only the Catholic Church has consistently taught against these plagues of our culture. We have much to teach and share with our non-Catholic brothers and sisters. A "Christian" doctor does not put my mind at ease - there is much that we would not agree on.

Linda said...

There is an Opus Dei pedi in Houston, but his waiting list is long....
That said, I would not leave the room with a minor. Period. Would you leave your wedding ring with the nurse? I wouldn't leave my more valuable (and impressionable) gems alone with the doctor or nurse either.
Thank you for the reminder!