Thursday, July 10, 2008

Drug Use May Start Earlier Than You Realize...


I am really getting tired of the amount of drugs and vaccines that society is wanting to "push" on to our kids. I saw a sign this morning that stated something like "15 vaccines in 15 months"... The point being that your baby "should" have 15 vaccines in his of her first 15 months of life. Call me dumb, but that sounds like an awful lot of "stuff" to pump in to their little bodies... Not that I'm strictly against vaccinations. My kids have each had some, and thankfully, are all fairly healthy kids, thank you, Jesus... But it seems that with each kid I've had, the vaccine "list" gets longer... The latest being Gardisil, to "protect" our little girls... no, thank you, very much, and last week the news was talking about wanting to Rx cholesterol meds to young school age children... I'm sorry, but there has just GOT to be another way...

The general public wants to just eat all this "great" information up, all in the name of "health", but do they take time to think about what the long term affects on their children will be? We lecture and warn them from the time they are old enough to understand, about the dangers of taking drugs, and the long term affects on their bodies. What about these so called "legal" drugs and medications? Just because something is labeled as "legal" doesn't make it safe. All medications give a whole list of "side affects". And if you listen or read closely, many of them include, in at least some cases, "death". How many young girls have to die or become paralyzed before they stop pushing Gardisil as the newest and latest "miracle" medicine to "protect" them from "some strains" of cervical cancer? What ARE the long term affects of giving our young people cholesterol meds starting at a very young age? I don't know the answer for that... But I am not going to rush out and have my kids cholesterol tested tomorrow, either...

Like I said, I'm not completely against vaccinating children. Though I do like to stay informed on the types of vaccines out there and have a choice as to what I will have them get. I do steer clear of the chicken pox vaccine, when I learned that it derived from human embryos. But I am not real concerned about my kids getting chicken pox, either. It used to be, pretty much, part of childhood... Although I did not get them until I was 22 and working in a pre-school... and only my oldest son has gotten them, one week before he was scheduled to receive the vaccine, and before I knew about it's origins... Anyway, if I have any "neighbors" out there, that have kids with chicken pox, I'd be more than happy to have them over to my house to "share" : ) It would be nice to have them all get it done and over with!

No comments: