Wednesday, July 30, 2008

I Missed My Dad's Last Breakfast...


My dad passed away 5 years ago this November 28 coming... It was very sudden and unexpected. The day after Thanksgiving, he and my mom were just hangin' around their home, because he was feeling a little under the weather. That evening, close to bedtime he simply collapsed and that was it. He hung on long enough for the paramedics to arrive and get him to the hospital, and shortly after I arrived to meet my mom and sister there, he was gone...

To this day it drives me nuts that I can't remember the last thing that he said to me, but it was almost like a "clue" to his pending death... We saw him the night before, at my sister's house for Thanksgiving dinner. As I was herding kids to the door to leave I kissed him on the head, and did my usual "Bye, Pops. See ya later..." and he commented something back, that at the time, I took as one of his usual smart alec responses... something like "if I'm around that long..." or something like that... I remember doing a double take and he smiled at me and waved.

So when I got the call from my sister that following night that the paramedics were at moms and they were on their way to the hospital I was a little surprised... My dad had NEVER spent a day, in his 79 years, in the hospital. His mother lived to be 104, and he had six siblings still living, 4 of which were all older! But that was it. Dad was gone from this world and I would never get the chance to talk to him again... The previous Sunday, after Mass, we had all walked out together and dad had asked me if we were going to go over to their house for breakfast. Dad liked to make breakfast for the family... It was his "thing"... We (my husband and I) didn't feel much like going any where after mass, except home, and politely declined, that we would go "next time". I would never get that "next time."

I thought of this today, because today is Wednesday. I spend most Wednesday's at my mom's house. I clean her house and do my laundry and do other little stuff around her house to help her out. Today was no different. I had to go out to dad's tool shed to get some sand paper and as I opened the doors I smelled "Dad". That mixture of dirt, grease and saw dust... : ) I thought about how I don't always like going to mom's to do stuff, because there 's always PLENTY to do around my own house. But my Mom isn't always going to be here. She is actually the last grandparent, living, that my kids have to know and love on this earth...

I was blessed with growing up in a very loving household with two parents and 4 siblings that love me. I pray that my children have the same. I pray that they learn, as they grow up, that yeah, parents can be frustrating and not always easy to get along with. But they aren't always going to be around for us. I will miss my mom greatly when she leaves this world. For now I appreciate her giving me the opportunity to be a good example to my own children in how to treat those that are older with love and respect. Life is not "disposable", but precious at all levels. I miss my Dad, still, but we rarely ever miss having breakfast with Mom every Sunday after Mass... Some things just aren't THAT important to get home to...

No comments: