Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The WRONG Way to have your stomach stapled...


So, about 6:15 this evening, # 4 comes in to our room where I was talking with her dad and she's fussing and sort of coughing and gagging. I motion for her to come to me and see that she has something in her mouth... I squished her cheeks in and told her to "spit it out" and tried to pry her little teeth apart and was finally able to fish not one, but TWO regular sized staple- staples out of her mouth. *GASP!* So I let her go and she fusses a little further and seems to maybe have another still in her mouth so I go back in. She coughed, bit my finger and then swallowed. Then she smiled at me, crawled off the bed and went on her merry way.... *ARGH!!*

I call the 24 hour nurse for our insurance, and she, of course tells me to err on the side of caution and take her to the urgent care. So! Here it is dinner time, I have a hungry husband and 4 VERY hungry kids and I have to take the baby to the Urgent Care.... And, no, of course I couldn't give HER anything to eat or drink until I could find out for sure if there was a staple stuck in her....

From the moment we walked in to the ER, #4 is waving "hi" to anyone that looks her way, smiling and laughing, clowning around as everyone says what a "Beautiful baby" she is, while I'm trying to remain calm and NOT think about a possible impending surgery to remove the tiny piece of wire stuck in her throat or windpipe.... The happiness just continued with the doctor and nurses in the urgent care, where she was treated as royalty, complete with all she could ask for Dora stickers. She had them all crackin' up... The x-ray tech was SO impressed with how cooperative she was, and I told him that that was because "the last guy she followed around in here gave her stickers" : ) so guess what she got MORE of?...

Thankfully, about 20 minutes later the Doctor returned saying that there was "no trace" of any staple anywhere. There could possibly be something mixed up in her stomach, but he didn't see anything, and a metal staple would definitely show up. Then he told me that IF she did swallow one and it was in her stomach, than she would most probably just pass it sometime in the next 24 hours... Just keep an eye out for any discomfort and watch her diaper output... Sheesh...

I just can't help but keep thinking "WHY a staple?? It's not like it's shiny, or smooth or colorful.... it's a sharp, poky STAPLE!!! WHY would you put THAT in your mouth and suck on it??!!" I'm telling you... parenting is NOT for sissies... Thank you, Jesus, for keeping my little 'stink-pie' safe, though... Lord knows I had my Blessed Mother on the job from the get-go... I could forgo any more "emergency" trips for awhile, now....

1 comment:

Heidi Hess Saxton said...

Hi, Lee. Glad to hear your daughter is OK. This week I've been posting about road trips, too. I thought that, given your devotion to the Blessed Mother, you might enjoy it. Here's the link: http://beholdyourmotherbook.blogspot.com/2008/06/traveling-mercies.html

Blessings, Heidi Saxton