Thursday, September 11, 2008

We Should NEVER Forget...


9/11/01... We still had our driving school business and my husband was already at work and I was home with my 5 and 2 year old sons at the time... After making the boys breakfast I sat down at my computer like I did pretty much every morning and saw the headlines on my home page and watched in surreal disbelief... is this for real?... is this REALLY happening RIGHT now?? As I continued to watch, unable to turn away, yet expecting this to be some kind of dramatically bad joke, I backed my way over to the TV and turned it on, where I found EVERY channel showing the same thing over and over again... Actually when I first turned it on it was actually AFTER the first plane hit the first tower and JUST BEFORE the second plane hit the second tower. The newscaster was giving a report from the balcony with the one burning tower in the background when out of nowhere the second plane came crashing in to the second tower...

The subsequent crashes in to the field in PA and the Pentagon just added to the bizarreness of the whole morning... This CAN'T be real!! But it is!! What in God's name is happening?! For days the nation watched, eyes glued non-stop to any news source they could find to hear something, ANYTHING, for some kind of explanation... I remember trying to explain what "terrorists" were to my kindergartner son and "why" they want to hurt us... I had never seen a greater display of good ole 'USA Spirit' ever in my life... For the first time since what seemed my dad's era, people were actually PROUD to be American again... suddenly they had pride in their country again as all ages were willing to stand together and do whatever needed to be done to stand up and fight back against those who wanted to take away our freedom. Those who wanted us to be afraid and cower... Chants and cries filled the streets, airways of "WE WILL NEVER FORGET" and renditions of powerful American Eagles Rising from the ashes holding the red, white and blue in her talons.... American flags flying from just about every antenna or car window on the street. There was a sea of red, white and blue flying from homes, front yards, in windows of public buildings and private homes everywhere...

But, I think even MORE amazing than the surge of American pride, came forth SO MANY that suddenly realized how FORTUNATE we all were to be able to practice our FAITH so openly, so freely in this Country of ours... and the Christians came out in DROVES... People openly proclaiming their faith, their Christianity... Openly PRAYING for God to have MERCY and protect us... THAT was TRULY God working to bring some 'good' out of 'evil'... GOD BLESS AMERICA was our battle cry...

But, as things go with us humans, time passes and we tend to relax... and once again we get comfortable, getting caught up in the day to day of life and forget WHO this is all really about... WHO is really in control of all that is good in this world.. WHO we should be praying to, worshipping, honoring, THANKING...

At the start of this current election campaign I had forgotten... I had been losing hope... I had been anticipating, already, what the next four years will be like in this country for me and my family... what THAT future would bring for my children... But even in my doubt, as usual, God heard my and many others, I'm sure, underlying prayers for something, ANYTHING, to help bring back that hope in our future again... I think He answered those prayers in a "soccer mom" from 'little ole' Alaska...

There is NO guarantee that the McCain-Palin ticket will win and make it to the White House come January 20, but it sure as heck looks a whole lot better than it did only a few short weeks ago... God, I think, is giving us, Catholics, Christians and pro lifers of all denominations this LATEST OPPORTUNITY to step up and be HEARD!! To let the culture of death HEAR us and KNOW that all other rights are futile WITHOUT the RIGHT to LIFE! At all ages and stages, life has VALUE. Those almost 3000 lives that were lost on this fateful date 7 years ago had VALUE. Just ask the families that suffered the loss personally. And just ask the MILLIONS of Americans that have stood up SINCE that day wanting and willing to do their part to fight back in HONOR of those lost lives.... Every life that is lost to the "choice" of abortion, has value... just ask the hurting and mourning mother and/or father that regret that fateful decision.... Every person suffering from disability, or illness, even terminal, has VALUE, for even they have lessons to teach us in humbleness, humility, compassion, unconditional love... Somethings that this entire world could use more of...

No... God help us, may I/We may never forget... God rest the souls lost on 9/11/01, on this anniversary day, especially. God rest all souls of purgatory. God rest the Holy Innocents. May all the souls of the Faithful Departed, by the MERCY of God, rest in peace... God Bless the friends and families left behind in this world to mourne their loss and honor their lives... God Bless all God's children left here to fight the good fight in whatever capacity He has given us... God Bless the USA...

No comments: