Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Forgive and Forget?

The season of Lent brings forth many thoughts on sin and repentance. At least for me. It is a time of year when I am frequently reminded of the Crucifixion and death of Jesus and His doing it all for me... "Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us..."

A recent conversation with friends has brought up the issue of "is it really 'forgive and forget'?" In other words, if we TRUELY forgive someone, do we have to "forget" that anything happened? In my humble opinion, I don't think we DO have to forget whatever caused us pain in the first place, in order to forgive the offender.... We are humans, after all... Speaking from personal experience, I think it is important, VITAL, in fact to FORGIVE our offenders. After all, every time we recite the Lord's prayer we are asking Him to forgive us with the same forgiveness that we give to others. There are certain circumstances that have happened in my life that some might say are unforgivable, but for my own sanity, I have forgiven. How?.... Well, first and foremost, I pray for them. I pray that they find peace and healing and know the loving power of Christ in their own lives. And I ask God to grant me a forgiving heart for them. To allow me to see them as He sees them. It doesn't mean that I have to continue to foster an unhealthy relationship, or that if I encounter certain people that my stomach doesn't still tie in knots or that moments of anger or frustration or regret don't come forward. But it is in those moments that I have to remember to pray all the more.

I have no idea what the Lord has in store for me. Perhaps, one day, I will again be able to communicate with certain people and maybe even re-establish a friendship... All things are possible with God, I guess. I leave it in His capable hands. Just something else I find myself contemplating this Holy Week....

No comments: