Monday, August 11, 2008

Celebrating "Gay Day" in California Public Schools??!!


Oh, for the love of Pete! Now for the sake of remaining "fair", I don't need a special "day" to celebrate ANY ONE'S sexual "lifestyle", hetero, homo, trans, or otherwise! Why on God's green earth would I want a "day" for my CHILDREN to celebrate something that has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with their education, IN SCHOOL??!! Forget about the fact that this PARTICULAR "celebrating" completely contradicts the religious and moral values of my home and family. Do you think that the California Legislature would be so eager to pass a Bill that celebrates "conservative/traditional" (can't use the word Christian, let alone Catholic!) family values?.. Just one day to have "suitable commemorative exercises" and talk about families that have one man and one woman married, together with children... But I guess that would be too boring, and no doubt there would be those that would jump up and protest, saying that a day like that would be prejudicial and detrimental to children that don't live in that "type" of environment... I would really like to see "common sense" make a come back... California Legislatures would do well to concentrate on making sure that our schools are teaching actual educational classes in reading, writing and arithmetic. They don't want my religious views and opinions to interfere or be forced upon them, then they shouldn't be trying to FORCE their views on me, and especially MY children... Believe it or not, people still ask WHY I choose to home school...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This article really struck my interest because I haven't heard about it yet. So I started to dig around.

I found this on USA-Partisan website:

"This bad bill will teach impressionable schoolchildren the anti-religious, homosexual-bisexual-transsexual agenda of Harvey Milk," warned Randy Thomasson, president of Campaign for Children and Families. "If signed into law, AB 2567 will mean an official day commemorating homosexuality, bisexuality, and transsexuality in California government schools....This will harm children as young as kindergarten."

I am from California and never heard of Harvey Milk. So I dug around some more.

I looked up the actual bill and discovered he is a very interesting figure, especially in San Francisco. Here is a section I copied from the actual bill:

Harvey Milk was also successful in forging coalitions with San
Francisco's other minority leaders. His message was one of unity against oppression in all its forms. In the same Gay Freedom Day speech, he said, "I call upon all minorities and especially the
millions of lesbians and gay men to wake up from their dreams ... to
gather on Washington and tell ... their nation: "Wake up ... wake up,
America ... no more racism, no more sexism, no more ageism, no more
hatred ... no more!"

By reading this bill
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/07-08/bill/asm/ab_2551-2600/ab_2567_bill_20080703_amended_sen_v97.html
I discovered the greater significance of what the day would actually stand for.

If you read the bill it isn't about making a "Gay Day" but a day of exercises remembering the life of Harvey Milk and recognizing his accomplishments as well as the contributions he made to this state (California).
It is the intent of the Legislature that the exercises
encouraged in this section be integrated into the regular school
program, and be conducted by the school or institution within the
amount otherwise budgeted for educational programs.
Days of significance in this bill include:
(1) The second Wednesday in May as the Day of the Teacher.
(2) April 21 of each year as John Muir Day.
(3) April 6 of each year as California Poppy Day.
(4) May 22 of each year as Harvey Milk Day.

I agree that it really isn't the school's place to "celebrate" anyone's lifestyle, it can be a way to teach the accomplishments of a man who acheived many things despite his sexual orientation. There are many ways that this so called section of the bill could be taught. After reading the bill I don't think it's going to be teaching our kids to be gay.
Yes, he was an openly gay man that taught tolerance for his community. Is that so bad? There are homosexuals that doesn't make them bad people.

I don't really want my children growing up to hate someone because they are gay, disabled or a different nationality. They are going to have to learn about all the different people in the world and if learning about a man that did good things, despite his sexual orientation, I don't see how that is harmful.

I think having a California Poppy Day a bit sillier. But what the bill outlines for the day sounds better than the actual title itself.

I agree with you when you say they shouldn't try to force their views because we don't force our religious views on them is a good statement. After reading the bill I feel better that it isn't a day of teaching my kids about homosexuality but a day of learning about California history.

Yes, it's touchy. I'm not sure I'm totally comfortable with it either. Historically, for the state of California, it makes sense. Possibly even more for San Francisco.

If passed I think the schools would do their best to be very careful about what is taught.

Atleast I would hope so.