Thursday, August 7, 2008

My Grandkids...


Yeah, that's right.... My husband has two children from a previous marriage. I have a step-daughter, 27, married with three sons of her own, and my step-son, 26 and married, also has two boys and a new baby girl... We haven't had contact with my step-daughter for several years, but think of and pray for her and her family often. My step-son I am in contact with, at least by phone, every week or two. Last Wednesday was his oldest son's birthday. The BIG #5... and I just can't help but grin when i look at him and see how much he looks like his dad... His dad was only 3 the first time we met and I think we hit it off shortly after...

I was very fortunate in that I never had a cross word with the kids mom. Not to say that it was always easy. There were ugly times of court hearings and arguments and kids caught in the middle that I wouldn't wish on anyone. But the kids mom and I never crossed words. I tried, I like to think , as best I could to stay out of the conflicts between she and my husband and to be there for the kids, however they needed me to be. With the two kids both grown and married with kids of their own, now, it all seems like a lifetime ago... but, yeah, I'm the mom with kids ages 12,9,6, almost 2 years old and one on the way with grand kids ages 8,7, 5, almost 3, almost 2, and 5 months. So my two, soon to be three younger kids have nieces and nephews older than them! confused yet? lol!

I refer to my step-son as my oldest son. I have always thought the world of him and I think that bond grew even closer when he chose to move in to our home when he was 10, and before I had had any of my own kids, until he moved out after high school and joined the CC's. Despite his rough and tough exterior, and his problems with a bad temperment in school, deep inside, I knew he was just a sensitive kid. His eyes would melt me every time... When my husband and I did have our first child together, that sensitive side of my step-son really did shine, as he had no problem jumping in helping me to take care of the baby. I have always teased him about having "the touch" when it comes to calming baby's and putting them to sleep. His wife has informed me that he still has this "gift" with his own... : ) I always knew he was a good kid... : )

I am recalling all this as I think about my visit yesterday to see his wife and kids and give his oldest son his birthday present yesterday. Already 5, and now ready to start kindergarten in just over a week... Looking just like his dad at that age and ready to go conquer the world, I'm so proud of how my step-son has turned out and I'm proud of his family... He's a hard worker that supports his beautiful wife as she stays home with the kids. Not too many families have that "luxury" these days... and she seems to be the perfect balance to him as they work hard together to raise their family in this less than perfect world. Despite his own topsy-turvey and not always so smooth childhood, he seems to be doing his best to make the lives of his wife and children better than his own was.... Such a great kid...


No comments: