Friday, August 22, 2008

We Survived!


We have officially finished our first week of "back to school"! Yippee!! All went well, and fairly smooth... but I know that it will get rockier in time... #1 son has started Jr. High and his Algebra book is already looking a little overwhelming to me... The sad part is, is that I majored in Elementary Education, and I actually took a class on TEACHING algebra! lol!! But, hey, that was AT LEAST 18 years ago!! So, I sort of have an excuse... : ) Time will tell... I found a program that lets me print out pages to help him take notes on the chapters and then has step by step practice pages and puzzle worksheets to help keep him interested and focused.

#2 son seems to be making leaps and bounds in the reading and writing department and we only had one or two "melt downs" ("I CAN'T DO THIS!!! THIS IS HHHAAAAAAAARRRRDDDDD!!!) this week : ) He has a hard time sitting still and focusing and is delayed in his reading, but as I was hoping, as he matures, he seems to be able to catch on a little quicker than he used to, and sooner or later it will all just sort of "click" and he'll take off... I am also learning to "make" him do more on his own, so that he's not so dependant on me to help him out so much... it's a fine line sometimes, and hard to determine...

#3 continues to do well, as I sometimes stop and wonder how she would be in a regular classroom. Her knack at being a "social butterfly" makes me think that she would be spending WAY MORE TIME "visiting" than learning... She seems to be a natural for reading and enjoys writing... so different from my boys... she's SUCH a girl... : ) But she is doing very well...

And #4 decided that today would be an uncooperative day... : ] Yesterday, from the very start she decided that she was going to wear her "chonies" and was using the potty pretty well until late afternoon. For some reason she grows weary of the efforts in the late afternoon and really just doesn't care anymore about staying dry... But today, she was ready after she got up to put on her big girl chonies only to turn around and wet not one, but four pair by lunch... And THAT was with the reminding AND the physically taking her to the bathroom and setting her on the potty to go at regular intervals. She'd promptly get off and go pee in her pants... *sigh* I slapped a diaper on her and called it a day....

And NOW?? Wouldn't you KNOW it?? As I type this my #1 son, moments ago says, "I smell poop..." I said, "well, is #4 still wearing her diaper?"

"Nope. Here it is. I'll check it... nope, not in her diaper..." (she is in the habit of removing, or at least trying to remove a stinky diaper as soon as she's done with it...)We start to scramble in search of... only to find LOW AND BEHOLD! She had gone to her potty chair in the hall outside the bathroom door and pooped all on her own! Woohoo!! she apparently knew I was typing about her... lol...

After much festivity and fanfare and wiping fannies, she happily marched away, only to pee on the floor in the hallway moments later while brother was rinsing out her potty chair... *sigh* it's a work in progress... : ] I still have time before Sam arrives... Please pass the carpet cleaner/refresher...

No comments: